I might have retired Friday’s Frock for the week but that doesn’t mean an end to the frockery around these parts.
In today’s post, I’m featuring one of my favourite styles: the Shirt Dress.
The Shirt Dress is a classic, somewhat retro style which may for some conjure up visions of Marion Cunningham and her suburban housewife contemporaries of the 50s. I totally get that and there’s no doubt that some of this season’s offerings, with their nipped in waists and full skirts certainly give a nod to Marion et al.
However, the Shirt Dress has been updated this season with drapey fabrics, straighter cuts and mandarin collars which bring this classic style firmly into the here and now.
The shirt dress also suits a variety of body shapes. It can create or accentuate a waist and draw attention to your top half with it’s button and collar details.
As a pear/hour glass shaped gal, I love a full skirt and a nipped in waist but I also love a looser, less structured cut with a tie waist for something different, like the style I’m wearing above. Looser, shorter shift styles flatter more apple or straight up and down shapes. Don’t forget that you can also open a few buttons to create balance and show some skin if, like me, if you have big boobs.
Oh and this style is a great option for our breastfeeding sisters with it’s easy button access and stomach covering properties.
Below, I’ve found eight styles of Shirt Dresses beginning at $59 in a range of styles, colours, prints and price points. If you are looking for a classic style without the price tag, check out the Portmans dress (2) which comes in three colours (black, navy and white) and is currently 30% off. It is on the short side though as you can see.
1. Leaf Print Shirt Dress, $59 from Target; 2. Portmans Fit and Flare Shirt Dress, $62.97 (currently 30% off on sale) from Portmans; 3. Sleeveless Shirt Dress, $89 from Seed Heritage; 4. Sleeveless Shirt Dress, $99 from Witchery; 5. Tribal Print Shirt Dress, $149 from Country Road; 6. Signature Shirt Dress, $199 from Sportscraft; 7. Summer Days Shirt Dress, $199 from Gorman; 8. Boyfriend Linen Shirtmaker, $229 from Bohemian Traders.
So which style of shirt dress is for you and what to wear with it?
1. For work/smart casual do’s, opt for a waisted, collared style (such as 2, 6 or 7) and dress with a mid wedge and a colour pop of bright lipstick for total retro gorgeousness;
2. If casual is more your style, chose a loose linen style (8) or a fun print (1) and team with a pair with tan sandals;
3. For a more modern take on the shirt dress, try a collarless style in an on trend print (5) or with a soft, sophisticated drape (4) and team with a nude heel;
4. A classic, pared back style like 3 will never go out of fashion and will suit anything from an espadrille, trainer through to a wedge.
Are you a fan of the Shirt Dress? Do you prefer a retro take or a more modern update?