It’s no secret around here that simple, hard working basics form the backbone of any versatile wardrobe. (You can catch up with 3 Autumn Basics 3 Ways here).
And that’s because basic, block coloured pieces are the foundation blocks upon which endless outfits can be created.
On their own they may not appear particularly exciting, but with the simple addition of a statement jacket, accessory or scarf, all of a sudden you’ve got yourself an interesting outfit.
And loads of options.
But before we get to those, let’s start with three key basics for Winter. As I always say, many of us have some or all of these basics in our existing wardrobes, so this post will hopefully provide some inspo to help you work with what you’ve got.
If you’re not quite covered in the basics department or some of your pieces need replacing, it may be that updating even just one thing or the introduction of one or two complementary accessories will give you loads more options.
This time around the 3 key basics I’ve chosen for Winter are:
1. 100% Merino Crew Neck, $39.99 from Glassons – I’ve been buying these for years and have a rainbow of colours. They are 100% merino wool, machine washable and a great price. I’ve found that they keep their shape and they wash and wear well too. I wear a size 12 so I’d say they are true to size too.
This knit is currently available in sizes 6 – 14 online.
If you live in a milder climate, a long sleeve black tee might be a good alternative.
2. Straight Rip denim jeans, $89.95 from Seed Heritage – As Derek Zoolander would say, ripped jeans are so hot right now. The stores are full of them. I like this slightly distressed pair from Seed Heritage (available online in sizes 6 – 14), with the higher waist but any skinny/straight leg denim jeans would work here.
3. Django & Juliette Sadore Black Leather Ankle boots, $189.95 from Styletread – I picked up these boots a couple of weeks ago from Mollini (using a voucher given to me by the kind folks at the fab shopping centre Collins 234 Boutique Place in Melbourne’s CBD), and I’ve been living in them and loving them ever since. They work with jeans, skirts and dresses by day or by night.
They also strike that elusive balance of height vs comfort – I love that they are high enough to elongate my legs a fraction and yet comfortable enough to wear all day. The gusset detail means they are easy to put on and they have some stretch. I highly recommend them and I’d say they are true to size. (They come in five colours too, great restraint required!).
Below, I’ve styled these three basics three ways by simply adding two or three pieces to create totally different looks. Even though the basics are quite dark (can’t escape the black in Melbs), I’ve introduced colour and interest with statement accessories, knits and coats.
Here’s the first one …
1. Take Two Heart Studs, $39.95 from Mimco; 2. Karli Knit Cardigan in Atlantic, $159.90 (usually $199 but currently 20% off) from Saba; 3.Straight Rip denim jeans, $89.95 from Seed Heritage; 4.Abstract Print Scarf, $29.95 from Sportsgirl; 5. Tri band ring, $29.95 from Witchery; 6. 100% Merino Crew Neck, $39.99 from Glassons; 7. Django & Juliette Sadore Black Leather Ankle boots, $189.95 from Styletread.
Above, I put together a gorgeous knit cardigan (it’s a sort of hybrid coatigan really) in a beautiful mid blue as the central, statement piece. It’s set off beautifully with an abstract print scarf that picks up the blue and the black along with simple rose gold accessories.
Printed scarves like this Sportsgirl one are great wardrobe pieces too. Come Spring, this scarf would look fab with a simple white tee, jeans and ballet flats.
I’d wear an outfit like this to lunch, the movies or to a family birthday do.
Now to our second outfit.
The outfit below is slightly dressier with the addition of a stunning silky viscose Mimco scarf, a chic camel wrap coat and gold jewellery. While providing warmth and texture, these simple but classic pieces transform an otherwise simple outfit into a great example of Winter luxe. Khaki and camel are also bang on trend this Winter and work back beautifully with black and denim.
I’d wear this outfit to a school concert, dinner or date night.
1.100% Merino Crew Neck, $39.99 from Glassons; 2. Lillianna Sleeveless Waterfall Jacket, $169.99 from Forever New; 3. Luxathon Scarf, $129 from Mimco; 4. Straight Rip denim jeans, $89.95 from Seed Heritage; 5. Stretch Tassel Bracelet, $14.95 from Seed Heritage; 6. Django & Juliette Sadore Black Leather Ankle boots, $189.95 from Styletread.
The final outfit picks up two of my favourite Winter looks – teal and boho.
I adore this gorgeous jewel tone and find it adds a sophisticated and flattering touch to any outfit. Paired with this stunning embroidered, collarless jacket and a simple pair of silver earrings, this is a layered, warm and hip outfit for any smart casual occasion.
1. By the Sea Snood, $39.95 from Sportsgirl; 2. Boho Luxe earrings, $24.95 from DeCjuba; 3. Straight Rip denim jeans, $89.95 from Seed Heritage; 4. 100% Merino Crew Neck, $39.99 from Glassons; 5. Trophy Jacket, $249.95 from Sportsgirl; 6. Django & Juliette Sadore Black Leather Ankle boots, $189.95 from Styletread.
* This post contains affiliate links. You don’t pay anymore but I earn a small commission.
What’s your favourite look? What are your key Winter basics?