If there is a colour you can rely on to take you from the heights of Summer through to the depths of Winter, it has to be navy.
From nautical stripes through to woolly Winter knits, navy is classic but ever so modern all at once.
I have oodles of navy in both my casual and dressier wardrobes, which I’ve lovingly collected over many years. I love it because navy complements my fair complexion and eye colour (blue) and always gives me a lift (i.e. people generally don’t tell me I look tired when I wear it = winning).
I started wearing navy when I was on maternity leave after my second son and gradually shedding my corporate look. It became my substitute for black for everyday and always worked with all my everyday casual favourites: denim, grey and tan accessories.
Fast forward to 2016 and navy is bang on trend for Autumn/Winter 2016.
And there are no signs of it abating.
So, I think it’s a colour worth investing in and below, you’ll find my edit of current, new season pieces you can wear right now.
1. Elke Tassel Earrings, $79 from Gorman; 2. Miami Stretch Singlet, $19.95 from Birdsnest; 3. Grid Weave Scarf, $49.95 from Seed Heritage; 4. Tote, $199 from Mimco; 5. Ebony Cocoon dress, $149 from Metalicus; 6. Poppy Navy Patchwork Skirt, $109 from That Bird Label, Birdsnest; 7. Curved Hem Longline Jumper, $79.95 from Sussan; 8. Side Pocket Sateen Jean, $119 from Country Road; 9. Ballet flats, $119 from Country Road; 10. Navy boots, $199.95 by Django & Juliette at Style Tread.
I’m loving the new Elke jewellery range at Gorman and these fun earrings (1) are a great way to dress up a block colour dress or, alternatively, they’d add interest to a simple tee and jeans combo.
I can personally vouch for these Country Road jeans (8). I have them in both black and navy and they are a great every day option when you want a change from denim.
I also have several of these curved hem pullovers (7). With a lightweight, soft cotton fabrication, they are a great transitional knit and perfect for travel – I took a couple of mine to the States last year (which you can read about here).
A pair of navy shoes is on my shopping list and I generally find suede ballet flats (9) to be more comfortable than hard leather. These fab boots (10) with their cool perforated detail are also seriously tempting me!
If you’re done with Summer and looking ahead to statement layering pieces for Winter, check out these beauties below …
Finally, if you’re after some styling ideas for how to style navy this Autumn, you might like to consider:
- Navy and white striped tops and dresses are a great everyday option with jeans and denim jackets. Add a pop of colour if you want to mix things up as I’ve done here;
- As the weather cools down, work your navy back with black (a gorgeous modern look) and high shine patent or sparkly accessories for some serious glamour;
- Navy is an excellent substitute for black – replace your black piece with navy for something different;
- Navy and tan or navy and creamy whites are a match made in heaven, especially when you’re working with textures and layers. If you go into Seed Heritage, Metalicus or Country Road at the moment, you’ll find whole sections of each store themed in this colour palette providing loads of outfit inspo.
This post contains affiliate links. You don’t pay any extra and I earn a small commission. Read more in my Disclosure Policy here.
Is there much navy in your wardrobe? How do you like to wear and pair it?